Welcome to my blog. I hope that the pictures, poetry and devotional writings will inspire and encourage you. Your comments are welcomed.







Saturday, November 13, 2010

Mr. BoBo

Our church held it's annual fish fry this afternoon. While my husband was busy frying fish and my son was playing football with friends, I decided to get my exercise in for the day.

I strolled out the driveway and began walking. Just down the road from the church and past a few houses at the top of a hill is the church's cemetery. When I arrived, I noticed a man who looked as if he was picking up trash and cleaning around some of the plots. I walked through the gate and up the hill to where my aunt's graveside service had been held just a few weeks ago.  The man lifted his head and waved. As I waved in return, he began to walk towards me asking about a broken flower arrangement he had found. We introduced ourselves and talked a few minutes. I learned that his name was Mr. BoBo and that he was returning home tonight to North Georgia. I told him about our fish fry and invited him to stop by and eat before leaving. I said goodbye and began walking again.

Mr. BoBo, as it is spelled on his drivers license which he showed me later, arrived at the church before I did. He gave one of the deacons a donation and began to prepare a himself a plate. Everyone else was still visiting with each other. No one knew who this stranger was or why he had suddenly shown up.

As I arrived, I explained how I had met him on my walk and invited him to join us. Later, when everyone had fixed a plate and was eating, Mr. BoBo asked if he could have some more. I tried to explain that we had plenty and he was welcomed to eat more, but he insisted that he always gave a donation at such church gatherings. He pulled some ones out of his wallet and laid them down on the table and began to prepare a second plate of southern fried catfish, french fries, fried pickles, coleslaw, huspuppies and tea to drink.

When cleaning up had begun and members were leaving, Mr. Bobo came and shook my hand. He told me thank you for inviting him to come eat. I walked with him and said goodbye. Later while driving home with my family, I thought about the words of Jesus from Mathew 25:35. "for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you took me in"

Suddenly, I felt so ashamed that we allowed a stranger to give a donation for his food and drink when we and others ate freely. I had not wanted to offend him, after all he wasn't paying us for the food, but was giving to the church.

Would Jesus still consider this evening of sharing with a stranger an act of love and kindness? Hmmn. I believe that He looks into the heart and knows it's true intentions. Regardless of whatever was said or done later, when the invitation was extended it was truly a "love thy neighbor" act of kindness.

Thank you Mr. Bobo for helping me to put "love thy neighbor" into practice today. I do hope you arrived home safely tonight and perhaps we'll meet again someday.

Donna Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment