Welcome to my blog. I hope that the pictures, poetry and devotional writings will inspire and encourage you. Your comments are welcomed.







Sunday, June 19, 2011

Trust and Obey

While out shopping for Father’s day gifts, I made a purchase by credit card and a message popped up asking if I wanted cash back. I always say no when I see this message, but today something inside me said yes and I requested $20.00. 
Shortly afterwards, I noticed a couple in a parking lot standing by their vehicle with a sign that said “need food and gas to get back home.”  I felt compassion and thought I should pull into a drive through and buy some them some sandwiches. Then my skeptical mind started wondering if they were really stranded and desperate for help, or were they just taking advantage of people’s generosity so they could buy drugs or alcohol. (This was probably Satan tempting me with lies and distrust)
I pulled into a store instead and felt Jesus impress upon me to buy them some bottled water and lance crackers. I thought to myself, that’s good if they are traveling, this would be something needed for several hours. I also thought it would be better than giving money.  Then, the Lord told me to give them the $20.00 that I got from the credit card.
I saw several people stopping to give them money. I was still questioning whether I should do the same. I drove over and asked the young man for his story. He told me that their vehicle had broken down and they had to use their expense money for repairs and now they didn’t have enough money to get back home. I gave him the water, crackers and the $20.00. I told him that God would make sure they got home. I said God bless you and he said God bless you too. He then started getting ready to leave.
As I began to drive off, I spoke again and said. "if you are taking advantage of people, God will take care of that too." (Now why did I have to say something like that? Had to be Satan getting his last two cents in.) They looked grungy, but when I am traveling I don’t look my best either.  Jesus gently reminded me that it is not my place to judge but to obey. I felt such remorse and asked for forgiveness and grace.  
Even if the story wasn’t true, Jesus had asked me to give. As his follower, I was not to question what I was giving for, but just give. What I have and what I receive is not mine, but is provided by Him. It is by His grace that I have a job when so many are unemployed. Most likely, this couple was just tired, broke and desperate to get back home. Jesus had compassion upon them and was asking His children to help. God allowed me today to really see the meaning of “Trust and Obey.”
Later in the evening, my husband and son surprised me with an early birthday present and I learned that they purchased it just shortly after I had my encounter. When they got to the register, the item rang up $40.00 less than what they were expecting to pay.  The seed Jesus asked me to sow had been multiplied.
How many times do we miss out on blessing others and being blessed in return, because we let the enemy distract us with lies and distrust? Thank you, Lord, for teaching me this lesson. Help me to resist evil and always trust and obey.

No comments:

Post a Comment